Thursday, November 27, 2008

Just the Worst (A Bad Movie I Just Saw)

We keep the top 50 lists on hold for another month here at the movie blog to introduce a new feature! It's called "Just the Worst (A Bad Movie I Just Saw)". Really, it is just a warning to you about a truly awful movie I just watched. Hopefully it's not that common of a feature, but considering I am going to have a lot of time at work this holiday season I could be delving into some more questionable materials when it comes to quality.

This entry contains a warning to stay away from:

DAY OF THE DEAD (2008)

You: "Wait, what? They remade Day of the Dead already? But I didn't see any commercials for it? Did I?"

Me: No, no you didn't. It seems everyone involved with this utter piece of filthy stinking garbage realized how bad it was and just let it go straight to DVD (and subsequently, to a quiet death) in peace.

I actually liked the remake of Dawn of the Dead. I think that it was unfairly panned by fans of the original just because it was a very different take than it's predecessor. The original Dawn was a satire and social critique of consumerism or a just a pretty silly and yet scary zombie movie depending on if you took a film class at some point in your life (either way you're right). The "remake" was an action movie that really only shared a setting (mall) and zombies. It probably shouldn't have had that title and certainly should never have been called a "remake". Otherwise, it is a fine horror film with some pretty decent writing, solid pacing, a funny montage, some good kills and a strong cast.

Here is where Day differs from its remake brother. Actually I'd balk at drawing that close of a relationship. Despite both films starring Ving Rhames, they have absolutely nothing in common in the way of plot (Ving plays two different characters and was only cast in Day to confuse people into thinking it was a sequel).

Anyways, Day of the Dead 2008 is not only NOT a sequel to the Dawn remake, it is also NOT:
  • a remake of the 1985 classic Day of the Dead
  • a movie that should be watched by anyone
If the straight to DVD release isn't enough to ward you off of watching this monstrosity, maybe this will: The movie opens with two "hot" teen couples making out in the woods.

Seriously, it makes me want to write a letter.

Dear Steve Miner,

Yo, you chose to open your horror movie with the most overused, tired horror cliche there is? Have you ever seen anything?

Sincerely,
Shempy Buberude

I signed the letter Shempy Buberude because I want Steve Miner to know I'm serious. Everyone takes Mr. Buberude seriously.

Some people will try to tell you this is just a misunderstood zombie flick, that it's not intended to be a faithful remake and that it is a "fun romp".

First off if you use terms like "fun romp" you are either a stupid movie critic or you have jello for brains (and privates). Second, these people are wrong. This movie is neither fun nor a romp. An example of a fun movie is Old School. An example of a romp is... uh, Baby's Day Out? I wanted to say Romper Room but they still haven't made a movie of that. At any rate, Day contains not a trace of either. Well, except that the key grip was named Mike Romping.

Overall this is one of those movies where everyone should be ashamed of themselves. Especially the "stars". Mena Suvari, Ving Rhames, I know why Nick Cannon did this movie, that guy couldn't act his way out of a conversation., but you two? I hope you both are happy with the tiny tiny amount of money you no doubt received for this thing.

Now, I would go through some more specifics with you but I honestly don't want to take another second talking about Shitty Day of the Shitty Dead 2000 and Shitty 8.

For all of us here at the Movie Blog - please, avoid Day of the Dead (2008) like the plague. Instead go out and watch the original, it has one of my favourite movie openings of all time.

Now let's forget I ever mention that awful, awful thing, and let's have a drink with a babe.

Not. Bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of this blog and being in Buffalo, where I take the opportunity to use my parents HBO on demand to its full potential, I suggest watching:

27 Dresses
Catch and Release
Fast and FUrious: Tokyo Drift