Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Least Favourite #42

Least Favourite
#42

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

A lot of people don't remember that this movie totally sucks. The reason for this being that Johnny Depp's Keith Richard's impression is charming and quite funny. Some people thought it was so funny that it was the best performance by any actor that entire year. I'm not sure if this was as good as oh, I don;t know, say. Bill Murray in Lost in Translation, but then again not much is. At any rate, this is the reason that you probably forgot the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was quite boring, poorly written and when it comes down to it, a pretty big pile of shit.

My argument here is that Johnny Depp carries this movie on his back, and that while still incredibly boring, without him would be completely unwatchable. If I had the choice of watching Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom carry on an on-screen romance vs. watching a noodle and a pen just get rubbed together like you were trying to start a fire, I'd be forced to choose the noodle-on-pen scenario for two reasons: 1) I want to see where the relationship goes after the rubbing and 2) they are essentially the same thing, but one contains noodles.

If you really want to watch a stand-out performance in a family movie that contains pirates, I suggest you forgo this piece of Disney bull-ish and check out Kurt Russel in Captain Ron, you can thank me later!

For anything further: please refer to my earlier post about how awesome Captain Ron is.

"Ah, Pirates of the Caribbean, boss!"

No comments: